Since I haven’t updated the SET blog since February, I thought this would be a good way to get started again.
There comes a time in every entrepreneur’s life when everything that was once exciting, invigorating, and motivating becomes repetitive, mundane, and downright tiring. It is at times like this that I wonder, “Who stole my ambition?” And, more importantly, “How can I get it back?”
I’ve been doing this long enough to know that these feelings come in cycles, meaning those feelings of burnout and disinterest in your business venture will soon pass. Of course, that’s not to say that there is nothing you can do to expedite their passing. Try this:
1. Take a vacation. I need a long break (4 or more days) at minimum every three months. I also do not work on the weekends and will take a shorter mid-week break about once a month.
2. Take your business to the next level. Maybe your feelings are a result of not pushing yourself. Has your business become a job? What can you do to take your business to the next level?
3. Try 10-20 minutes of intense exercise. I hate running, but I have a wife who runs, so sometimes I run too. When I do, those feelings of motivation and excitement return almost immediately.
4. Remove some clutter from your life. Freeing up a bit of space in your home or schedule can remind you that you are in control of your life and that your business is not controlling you.
5. Reset your goals. Think on two levels: 1) What do you want in your personal life? and 2) How can your business help you get it? If you can answer these questions, you will regain your sense of purpose.
I’d love to hear your suggestions in the comments below.
Leave a Reply